Pink And Wonderful

Pink And Wonderful
Tools of the trade

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ten Years and Counting

My staff presented me with a wild pink, leopard sleeve for my laptop computer. The gift was to celebrate my tenth year of ordination to  ministry on June 16. Yes, it is hard to believe, I have been a pastor for ten years.

As I reflect on these past ten years, I give thanks over and over again for God's confidence in me. Many people will wonder why I put it that way. Of course, I am grateful for God's love and all the gifts of mercy. forgiveness and grace that we have all received through Jesus the Christ, but I think I am talking about something different here. I was just telling my intern, (yes, I even get to train pastoral candidates) that I could never have imagined what God had in store for me. I have been privileged to do so much. I was able to speak in front of tens of thousands of people at two national youth gatherings. I find myself in the strangest places. I traveled to Israel with colleagues on a trip for pastoral renewal that cost me almost nothing. I find myself involved in the most amazing things; I introduced a teenage member to facebook; I get to start groups that allow for prayer and conversation with sister pastors;  I serve a nourishing meal most Sundays; I study the bible with a great group of women and others; and I have the honor of being present with those sick and dying. I am involved in the lives of so many. Are you starting to see what I mean? I give thanks for God's confidence in me.

You see, I started out almost twenty years ago thinking I was unworthy to be a pastor. I felt the call to preach after preaching the Women's Day service in my home congregation St. Mark in East Point, Georgia. St. Mark is a small African American Lutheran congregation. When I was a member in the late 80's and early 90's the average attendance was about 50. It was a small close knit family church. I started going to the church because of something my grandmother used to say. She told me if you every feel blessed by God you should go to church and give thanks. I was a single mother of a young son,  but I did feel blessed. I had a job, a place to lay my head and food on the table. I went to St. Mark to give thanks to God for those blessings. All of a sudden, I found myself more and more involved, teaching Sunday School, chairing committees, traveling to represent the congregation at assembly and other events. But I was a woman with no college education. I couldn't imagine being a pastor?

Then God changed my mind. I was encouraged by Dr. Rudolph Featherstone who reminded me that no one is worthy, yet God calls. My pastor at that time Rev. Andre Keeley was very helpful as he affirmed the call I felt and helped me take the necessary steps. I went to college and earned a Bachelor's degree. I then started seminary in Atlanta taking one course at a time as the confidence God had in me begin to show up in my self-confidence.

I had an enlightening internship in the South Bronx with Rev. Heidi Neumark who taught me among other things the importance of being myself. I was ordained in 2000 after graduating from Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago. I served my first call in the South Bronx where I would have been happy to spend my entire pastoral career. God however, had something else in mind. I was called for a three year term to my current church as the associate pastor. Unfortunate circumstances and some blessings beyond anyone's control have placed me as senior pastor of this beloved congregation that I have now served for seven years.

So, far this work of ministry has been quite a wild, scary, yet wonderful journey. A trip that I know I am so unworthy to take, but I am grateful for the opportunity and the confidence God has in me. Yes, it has been ten years and I am counting on many more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful ride! You have been a gift and a blessing to St. John's and we are very lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

thats my girl your dad is proud of as was your granddad love you keep up the good works

Craig Weinrich said...

Congratulations on your ten years, and knowing your personality and passion, I know you will be spreading the Good News for many more!