Pink And Wonderful

Pink And Wonderful
Tools of the trade

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Conversing 'bout Jesus On An Airplane

On the airplane coming home from Chicago, I sat in row 24 at the back of the plane. I wasn't thrilled about that, but if it meant that I had the whole row to myself, I would be happy. Almost at the very last minute a couple sled in next to me. I knew they were a couple because they had on matching blue polo shirts with lettering. I am sure that this was from the organization they represented. I would find out about that later.

I wrote, read and listened to music most of the flight. You see, my mommy always told me don't talk to strangers. (Just joking) But anyway, I got through most of the flight fine. Then the woman who had gorgeous white hair, offered me a stick of gum. I said, "No thanks." But at some point in the trip she started to talk. She asked me if I were flying for work and I gave a one word answer 'yes.'

I was traveling back home from meetings of the management team for the 2012 ELCA National Youth Gathering. I have been contracted to be the Missional Manager for the Gathering. That is alongside my day job as a parish pastor. I am responsible for managing the teams that are in charge of what happens at the Dome and the servant events. If you have ever been to a Gathering you know this is an awesome task. I am counting on God for help, guidance and to send skilled and wonderful people to assist with this work -- but back to the airplane.

The woman, Francine, I think that's her name was traveling from a board meeting for a Bible Camp in upstate New York that was being sold. Three of the board members lived in Chicago so it was easy for the others to travel to them; she told me. She started talking about the wonderful ministry of the man who lead the camp. The board members of this camp had agreed that this man should not be running a camp but leading a flock--teaching and preaching. He was dynamic she said. We talked about her children, that I would guess were in their late thirties, who were regular church goers. She also talked about leaving one church that seemed to be dying and finding another with the help of her daughter-in-law. I told her I was traveling because of ministry also and that I was a pastor. Then the conversation changed.

She asked, "What do you think about Jesus?" I said, "I love Jesus and when I heard that salvation wasn't about anything that I did do or could do, when I heard about the grace of God given as a free gift on the cross, my life changed." She continued to ask questions that I interpreted as her way to understand what a Lutheran pastor teaches and preaches. I continued with: "Grace this, grace that, blah, blah, blah....... etc....." Then she asked did I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I answered, "Love is personal; isn't it?"  By this time we were starting our descent into New Jersey.

By the time we landed, she understood that we had a common faith centered on Jesus' death and resurrection. Throughout the trip, though, I was trying not to talk, by the end of the flight I didn't mind conversing 'bout Jesus.

What was your last interesting conversation on a plane about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I rarely have a conversation on a plane. Because of the possibility of turbulence, I am forced to take a dramamine before take-off. This usually results in a tingly, numb feeling all the way down to my fingertips before the doors are closed, and a solid drift into dreamland before we take off...don't I sound like the perfect travelling companion!