Pink And Wonderful

Pink And Wonderful
Tools of the trade

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Marathon Weekend!

On the first weekend of June, I would say that I ran a marathon. It started with a wedding rehearsal, and ended with a flight to Chicago. In between these things were dealings with a rabbi, a sermon about oil spills, a few in sanctuary baptisms and one in a home. It was quite an eventful time.

My first adventure was driving into New York City and forgetting, because I do it so infrequently, exactly how to get into the Lincoln Tunnel (had the same trouble getting out). Anyway I checked into the Hudson Hotel; it is sort of an avaunt guard European Hostel type place. Everything was dark and the room was about the size of two walk in closets; and the bed, well, it was dorm size. Then I boarded a taxi to The Palace hotel which is splendid, light, airy and elegant; it has an old world charm with crystal chandeliers and marble staircases. There the rehearsal for the wedding took place. After the rehearsal we all climbed into limousines and went to The Carlyle Hotel for dinner. This too was full of old world charm. After a fine dinner of dover sole and creme burlee, I took a taxi back to The Hudson; I slept, woke to write a sermon at breakfast while I ate at The Flame Restaurant on 58th Street. After breakfast and additional sermon writing, I got dressed and drove back to The Palace for the wedding. I ran into another couple from the congregation and had tea with them.

After the wedding, I drove home;  I got there by 9:30, made sure my bag was packed, fussed with my sermon a bit and went to bed. Then I preached and presided at the first service, attended the forum about asbestos abatement that was to happen next week and preached, presided and baptized two babies at the second service. I then drove to another member's home and baptized my third baby of the day. Ate fruit, vegetables and cold cuts while I drove home, showered dressed and then my intern was at the door to take me to the airport. The weekend did not end until I was tucked safely into bed at The Springhill Suites in Chicago.

Have you ever had a weekend like this? I believe it will take a few blog posts to report all the happenings so stay tuned!!!

No comments: