Pink And Wonderful

Pink And Wonderful
Tools of the trade

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Staring Blankly

You know, sometimes I like to do nothing. No matter the heavy issues that plague the world, I need a moment. I need just a small space in time when I can stop fighting battles, advocating for others and being all things to all people. Do you know what I mean? Sometimes in order to be the best that we can be, we have to just stop, take a breath and stare blankly into space.

The psalmist says, ". . . be still and know that I am God." It is necessary to take a rest from all the toil and trouble, from even the good and enjoyable work that we do in order to refuel and refresh.

This rest, for people of faith is called Sabbath. According to Marva Dawn, who writes extensively on the subject, Sabbath is a time of ceasing.  Most people think of the Sabbath as Sunday, and it is. For most people who are Christian, this is a day to cease from work, to worship God and to relax. But for me Sunday is a work day. As someone whose vocation it is to help others keep the Sabbath, Sunday cannot be mine. So, my best Sabbath is not a particular day, but those times when I really do get to cease. Those times when I get to stare blankly out of a window at raindrops or a flying bird or those times I stare blankly looking for and seeing the wonder and power of God are Sabbath for me.

Sabbath, can also be not just a time, but a state of mind. When our mind ceases the continual trying to figure it out, solve the problem or get things right; when a mind is set to total surrender and trust in God that is also Sabbath. This I feel is staring blankly in the face of problems, adversity or trials and trusting that God will see us through. It is that point at which there is nothing to do or when nothing can be done.

Indeed, staring blankly has been good for me. Whether I see it as a space in time or a state of mind keeping Sabbath expecting and trusting in the goodness of God helps me in becoming wholly who God would have me be.


Why don't you try staring blankly sometime?





2 comments:

Braden said...

I'll bet you didn't know that was my favorite Bible verse! I love the image of being still and letting the power of God wash over me and carry away the troubles and the burdens and all that weighs me down. It is like a long, deep breath that cleanses mind, body and spirit...

Craig Weinrich said...

Just so long as we are using the time during your homily to stare blankly, right?!?

I so agree with taking time to stare blankly and let your mind wander - even at work. It's amazing what insights you can get when allowing your mind to wander.