Pink And Wonderful

Pink And Wonderful
Tools of the trade

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Growing Things

Every Summer, I try something new. I do something that I have never done before. In 2008, I stripped the wallpaper off the kitchen walls, painted and replaced the knobs on the cabinets. It was hard and time consuming. For at least a month I had a ladder in the middle of the kitchen floor, peeled wallpaper and blue goo all over the place.  It was a mess. When it was done, though, it was great. I felt a real sense of accomplishment, although I am sure I will never strip wallpaper again.

Last year for my something new project, I decided to start growing things. Although I live in a house, most of the backyard is taken up by a driveway and the only place to plant is in the shade of the garage. So, I decided to use my small back step to start a garden. Everything is in assorted flower pots, some big, some small and some medium sized.

This all started because the year before a member of the congregation gave me a pepper plant. I went home and re potted it and it grew like crazy. I had hot peppers for days. So the next year I decided to branch out. My back porch gets plenty of sun, so why not? And, I did at least, get to have tea and a salad or two from my very own garden. I grew butter crunch lettuce, peppers, chamomile, dill, and tomatoes (a tomato plant was another gift from a congregation member).

So, while I have vowed never again to strip wallpaper, here I am again planting, putting my hands in dirt and deciding what to grow. This year I have summer squash, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, rosemary, mint, chamomile and radish. I am also thinking I should plant eggplant, my favorite vegetable-- that is if I can find a little more space. For now on growing things will be a continuing part of my life.

Every year about planting time, the church moves into the season after Pentecost. It is the season that green covers the altar. The scripture for this season is about discipleship and it is a time when the preaching and teaching is focused on growing closer to God through Christ. This is the image I hold as I water and watch my garden grow. How do I as a pastor, nourish and help those in my charge grow in this long season of growth? How do I encourage my congregation to tend to the reading of scripture, and to more wholly trust in God?

Like planting my back step garden this is something I will continually try and I'll ask God to help and guide me. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just like plants, people need a little nurturing, a little love, a little bit of time. Even the smallest bit of time...a hug, an email, a few words of encouragement, a thought,a lesson or a sermon and you will reap rewards that are much bigger than the effort it took to begin. People are a lot like plants. Just keep doing what you already do naturally, your flock is constantly nourished by you and you from them. The fun part is watching us grow together!

Anonymous said...

Well said Jane...couldn't agree more!